“What sets our clinic apart from the rest is the personal treatment”
Once you’ve decided to start ‘project baby’, what’s the first step? How do you choose a fertility clinic?
We’ve interviewed Luis Zamora, a gynaecologist from Barcelona IVF, and here we share some of the things we discussed with him.
“Couples that get treated at our clinic always mention that our personalised treatment is what sets us apart from the rest”
How did Barcelona IVF come about?
Barcelona IVF was an initiative created by a group of professionals as an alternative to the larger fertility clinics in which their large turnover was hurting the doctor-patient relationship.
Our main goal was to focus on this relationship in order to provide a high-quality service to couples with fertility issues. So, we set our sights on being able to provide the most cutting-edge technology, as well as tailor-made treatment for our patients.
Couples who have to resort to this type of treatment are especially sensitive and, in many cases, have already gone through traumatic experiences, so they need to find a professional who can devote their time to solving their problems.
Barcelona IVF opened its doors in October 2010. Three years later couples who get treated in our clinic state that these factors distinguish us as the reason they chose our clinic in the first place.
Tell us about the Barcelona IVF team
The entire staff, including physicians, biologists, and assistants, have extensive experience in the field of assisted reproduction and have worked in a number of highly reputable centres.
In Barcelona IVF we offer our services in different languages such as English, French, Italian, German and Czech. We also have a Psychology department and a team of acupuncturists as additional services offered to all our patients.
Our goal is to offer a well-rounded service in order to cover all of our patient’s needs.
Can you explain the ROPA method: steps, tests, patient requirements (age, health, etc)
The ROPA method is the perfect procedure for lesbian couples because it allows both partners to share maternity. One of them will provide the egg while the other will be pregnant.
The one that provides the eggs must undergo the process of ovarian stimulation and puncture while the recipient must prepare her endometrium to receive the embryos.
The ROPA method is a type of in vitro fertilization, so it is recommended that this type of treatment be done as soon as possible since female fertility drops considerably after 38. It’s also favourable if the patient is in good mental and physical condition.
What’s the difference for lesbian couples between undergoing the ROPA method or a regular IVF treatment?
The ROPA method has an emotional aspect to it as it allows both women to share maternity (as one becomes pregnant and the other provides her eggs). This was impossible to do a few years back here in Spain.
Is there any danger in this process? (hormones, punctures, psychological issues, etc.)
In the ROPA method, the risks are the same as any regular IVF treatment. Most of them are related to the ovarian stimulation and puncture, such as ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome or bleeding after the puncture. However, these types of problems are rare since the procedures are carried out under strict controls.
Could there be any genetic incompatibility between the two women that would prevent the ROPA Method from being successful? How is the pregnant person and the donor chosen? Could the roles be switched if needed?
The decision of who will play which part in this procedure is generally determined by the couple themselves. We must adapt to their wishes and help them in order to have a successful pregnancy.
Sometimes, from the medical point of view, it might be advisable to reverse the roles. However, this is difficult for the couple to accept since each had already assumed a specific role.
How much experience does Barcelona IVF have with the ROPA method?
Barcelona IVF is a pioneer in the ROPA method and, through its collaboration with MHC Barcelona, aims to consolidate itself the leading centre for this type of treatment.
What are the advantages of undergoing fertility treatments with Barcelona IVF?
Through an agreement with MHC Barcelona, the specialised medical service for lesbian couples and single mothers, we can offer special rates (1st visit free and discounts on treatments offered. For more details visit: www.mhcbarcelona.com)
Why should we choose Barcelona IVF over other larger clinics available in Spain?
- Because we are an assisted reproduction clinic composed of a multidisciplinary team of gynaecologists, andrologists, biologists, anaesthesiologists and psychologists with extensive experience in fertility issues.
- Because we have a state-of-the-art in vitro fertilization (IVF) laboratory that allows us to increase pregnancy rates by using the best technology and the latest medical advances.
- Because we are a health centre approved by Catalunya’s Generalitat and our data is audited by them, which ensures our quality and transparency.
- Because we offer personalised service 24 hours a day, every day of the year.
- Because we guarantee that your treatment will be tailor-made for you and that you will always be seen by the same doctor.
- Because we can offer patient care in different languages, so that every couple is reassured throughout the assisted reproduction process.
- Because all the procedures are done in our premises. We have our own operating room and assisted reproduction laboratory.
- Because we don’t work with waiting lists.
- Because we deal with all the paperwork so that couples only have to focus on the procedure: clear-cut information and fixed quotes that include everything that is needed.
- Because Barcelona is a city that has direct flights to other major European cities.